Friday 5 May 2017

A walk from Sewerby to Flamborough Head.

Hello. There are a lot of pictures to show so I will split them into manageable sized posts. My two days away started when I parked at Sewerby Village car park. I didn't actually go into the car park because it was £2.90 for the day, not bad I suppose, but I would rather not pay at all for parking. The access road outside had no restrictions, and there was room to park without getting in anyone's way. It's in striking distance from the beach so that's the direction I headed for. 
Sewerby Hall is close by, here is the Land Train setting off for Bridlington. I am going in the opposite direction. Seeing this made me a bit sad, it reminded me of when I brought Rocky here, we had a lovely day out. I pushed him in the buggy along the Promenade to Bridlington, and we came back on the train. 
Happy memories which brings tears to my eyes. Still miss him. 
Sewerby Cricket Club were out enjoying their sport. I didn't hang about to watch, it's not my scene. 
Sewerby Hall, looking fab in the sun.

Onward I went towards Flamborough Head. Although sunny, the wind was biting cold. The views were lovely, but not warm enough to sit and daydream.

There are a lot of steps up and down as the track meanders around the gullies. This is Danes Dyke.

One of the few places where the beach is accessible on this coastline. 

Onward and upward, the coastal path goes along the top of the cliffs.

South Landing is another place with access to the Beach. Anyone want to build a sandcastle, buckets and spades for sale here.

I saw quite a few people with binoculars, and cameras with ginormous lenses. It's a bird spotters haven here. 

Oooops, best be careful then. The path was perilously close to the edge at times, and it was very windy. this is the long stretch from South Landing to Flamborough Head.

The roar of the sea followed me the whole time. The wind was causing it to rush onto the beach. Would have been good for surfers, if they could stand the cold.

Breathtaking views. 


After a hard push against the wind I arrived at Flamborough Head. The Foghorn Station. 

I have been inside this lighthouse before on a previous visit, so I won't go in this time. You can read about it here.

I'm going to make a break here, and resume the story tomorrow. with more photo's. Come back if you want to read more. Thanks for popping in, see you soon.
Toodle pip

29 comments:

  1. I have visited Flamborough Head a few times as I had an aunt, my Godmother, who lived there for a while. Whenever I see Flamborough Head lighthouse it brings back memories of my dad who was a painter and decorator. The firm he worked for had the contract to paint the outside and I remember my dad painting it one year. Unfortunately I have never been inside it.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely photo of Rocky.It made me cry.We have such a bond with the animals that share our lives I'm sure one day we are together again.I still get very upset about my previous four darlings.I talk to them even now. Rocky had a wonderful life with you.My dogs have all been rescues. Your photos are spectacular.The coastline reminds me of my holidays-but on the south coast.I can almost smell the sea air x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, The white chalk cliffs are very similar to the south coast.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous photographs Ilona. It is a part of this amazing country that I have yet to visit. I can almost smell the sea air. The picture of Rocky tugs at the heart strings. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must have missed reading about your camper car. Is it your regular car that you have fitted a mattress in to? That sounds ingenious. Are you using it to save on the cost of a bed and breakfast? Every time I read your story about Rocky I think how lucky he was that he and you crossed paths, you made his life much more than it would have been. Good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I have an estate car, plenty of room in the back with the seats folded flat. I bought a thick piece of foam for £2, it fits perfectly. I will use it as emergency accommodation when I am travelling about, but will still use B & B's and hotels, I can afford them.

      Delete
  5. Crikey! That's brought back some memories. As a child we always went on holiday to Flamborough in a static caravan (in the 60's). I think one of my first baby photos was of me on the Burlington Bertie train, just like your lovely Rocky. There used to be a fab chippy in Sewerby - just like someone's front room but converted to a chippy. You pick some great places for your little jaunts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. The chippy is closed on a Wednesday so I had to look further afield for chips.

      Delete
  6. Have a lovely time - you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what memories these photos bring!!,We always used to go to Bridlington for a week in September when i was a child and then carried on when i had my Daughter,nearly 40 years ago.We always visited Flamborough Head and i have still got some Clam? type shells that they used to sell there from a little stall.We used them as ashtrays in them days,lol.Ive got a photo on my dressing table of me and my Dad on the cliffs there when i was about 14.I used to love walking up the cliff top to Sewerby park and if i remember rightly there was a pub garden there where we used to have a glass of pop and a packet of Seabrook crisps.Happy days.Glad youve had a lovely break and you looked very cosy in your campervan!!,Debi,Leicester,x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. The pub and garden are still there.

      Delete
    2. Well i can also remember a Family called Charlie Newby and his Sons...who did fishing there.I can remember going on a trip called The Bridlington Belle,which id been on as as child.I do remember,sitting on Bridlington Harbour,with my daughter,in her pushchair,catching a crab,on one of those H sticks of wood.I was so shocked as i pulled him up...i let him go.....n never regreted.....as i let him go,Debi,Leic,x

      Delete
  8. Your photos are superb, hard to choose a winner. Can you share the temperature when you post tomorrow. It must have been bracing with the wind coming off the sea.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I have no idea what the temperature was. It was bracing.

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos. I love lighthouses.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous photos. I love your "travelogues"

    ReplyDelete
  11. some stunning photos here. thanks for sharing Ilona, looking forward to seeing more

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cried when I saw Rocky. No offense Ilona but he is the main reason I started following your blog. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always inspire me Ilona x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the photos of the coastline Ilona, just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eloise at thisissixty.blog5 May 2017 at 21:51

    Such lovely photographs, as always. It looks such a lovely part of the country. It is so good to have a few days away....but isn't it always lovely to get home too! I've spent the past few days in Shropshire, walking, chilling out and visiting a couple of museums. It was such a nice break.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello
    I know this link isnt related to this post but I thought it may interest you. All the best
    Rachel
    http://blog.lovecrochet.com/ten-types-of-crocheters/?utm_source=instagram&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=04052017_instagramstories_10types

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous. I love your photo's! Thanks for the lovely walk-a-long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the lovely photos. The coastal path walk is stunning. How did you find sleeping in the car and where did you park? You looked snug as a bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Your questions are answered in the next post. Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  19. It looks really beautiful up there! I can't walk on cliff tops as I am height phobic and it makes me feel ill, but am enjoying seeing your views Ilona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't cope with heights either.Last year I bravely walked down the slope and along the coastal path.My dogs on leads and suddenly I saw I was closer to the cliff edge than I realized.I froze-I then went giddy and crawled away to the field edge to safety.Won't do that again x

      Delete
  20. Love the coast line photos and seeing Rocky again. He was a wonderful little fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi ilona when did Rocky leave us what a lovely dog🐶 he was❤
    Great picture's of Bridlington I was there a two month's or so back , a great place , I also love Whitby that's my favorite 💯..
    I no you have cat's no i guess there easier to look after than dogs will you have another Dog do u think .

    -Iove-
    Levi
    X

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.